Halloween is just a day away! Although this holiday can sometimes be focused on the kids, our team put together a Halloween cocktail for you to enjoy once they go to bed. Our Black Coffee Cauldron is a take on the classic Italian affogato cocktail. This perfect treat mixes the dark, bold flavors of our Echo Bravo Espresso and the sweetness of classic vanilla ice cream. The Black Coffee Cauldron is the perfect naughty treat for anyone who loves to pair alcohol and coffee.
The affogato originated in Italy. The word “affogato” translates to “drowned” in English. This is fitting as the affogato is a scoop of ice cream “drowned” in espresso. The history of the affogato is challenging to pinpoint. It is believed that it was invented after the espresso machine’s invention and began to spread in the late 1900s. There is a heated debate about whether the affogato is a drink or dessert. Despite arguments over whether the affogato is a dessert or not, there is no consensus on how you should eat it. The general recommendation is to pour the coffee over the ice cream before serving and eating before it melts.
Things to Know
Take your cocktail making to the next level with these tips:
- Place your glass in the freezer for about 10 minutes before making your Black Coffee Cauldron to help keep the ice cream cold.
- If you are serving the Black Coffee Cauldron to a group of people, scoop the ice cream into your glasses in advance and put them in the freezer until the coffee is ready.
- 1 scoop of vanilla ice cream
- 1 oz of Echo Bravo Espresso
- 1 oz of vodka
- 6 oz of a stout beer (we recommend oatmeal)
- Place scoop of vanilla ice cream into glass
- Pour 1 oz of vodka
- Pour 1 oz of Echo Bravo Espresso
- Pour 6 oz of your stout beer
- Serve immediately
One of the best things about the Black Coffee Cauldron is you can easily make it your own. Take the classic combination and swap the ice cream for butter-pecan, oreo, or chocolate. Enjoy your black cauldron as you watch scary movies this Halloween. We’d love to see your variations! Show us your Black Coffee Cauldron by tagging us on Facebook at @SpringlineCoffee or Instagram at @springline_coffee and using hashtag #nauticoffee!