‘Tis the season for indulgence and our Springline Chocolate Stout Affogato is the perfect treat! This adult dessert is rich, not overly sweet, and simple to make. Stout is a strongly flavored beer with a fair amount of bitterness, and when paired with the sweet flavors of our Holiday Stroll coffee, chocolate liqueur, and coffee ice cream you end up with a tasty mix of sweet and bitter. The temperature and density contrast - hot coffee, cold creamy ice cream, cold frothy beer - add another element of complexity.
The affogato originated in Italy. The word “affogato” translates to “drowned” in English. This is fitting as the affogato is a scoop of ice cream “drowned” in espresso. The history of the affogato is challenging to pinpoint. It is believed that it was invented after the espresso machine’s invention and began to spread in the late 1900s. There is a heated debate about whether the affogato is a drink or dessert. Despite arguments over whether the affogato is a dessert or not, there is no consensus on how you should eat it. The general recommendation is to pour the coffee over the ice cream before serving and eating before it melts.
Things to Know
Take your cocktail making to the next level with these tips:
- Place your mug in the freezer for about 10 minutes before making your Chocolate Stout Affogato to help keep the ice cream cold.
- If you are serving Chocolate Stout Affogatos to a group of people, scoop the ice cream into your glasses in advance and put them in the freezer until the coffee is ready.
- 1 scoop of coffee ice cream
- 2 oz of freshly brewed Holiday Stroll
- 1.5 oz of chocolate liqueur, such as Godiva Chocolate Liqueur
- 1/2 cup chocolate stout beer
- Place a scoop of coffee ice cream into your mug.
- Pour 2oz of Holiday Stroll, chocolate liqueur, and stout beer over the top.
- Garnish with a biscotti or your favorite cookie, and serve immediately