This week our team cannot get enough of our Springline Cold Brew Negroni! This cocktail was once primarily consumed by old school drinkers in the know. The bitter and boozy negroni has since become a menu fixture with several variations. A good negroni is the definition of balance and simplicity. Our Springline Negroni is the perfect aperitif!
The most widely reported version of the Negroni is that it was invented at Caffe Casonu in Florence, Italy, in 1919. Legend has it that Count Camillo Negroni asked his friend and bartender, Fosco Scarselli, to strengthen his favorite cocktail, the Americano. Scarselli replaced the soda water with gin and garnished the drink with an orange, rather than the lemon you’d typically get with an Americano. It didn’t take long for the cocktail to be a hit, and soon everyone was coming to the bar for a “Negroni.” In 2015, the negroni resurfaced as a popular cocktail. The ruby-red Italian drink may look sweet, but the strong bitter notes pack a punch. It’s this punch that has made it a favorite of cocktail lovers!
Things to Know
Take your cocktail making to the next level with these tips:
- Prepare your Springline Signature Coffee as cold brew:
- Coarsely grind your beans- similar to the texture of ground sugar
- Add your ground beans to water - use filtered water if possible
- Soak overnight- this helps accentuate the sweet, smooth profiles of the coffee, and removes bitterness
- Strain slowly (and maybe a few times to make sure you've got all the grounds out!)
- Dilute with water - depending on the strength of the coffee you would like
- Use round or square ice cubes. The larger the ice, the slower it will melt, which will preserve the taste and strength of your cocktail.
- 1 oz Hendrick's Gin
- 1.5 oz Cold Brew: Springline Signature
- .5 oz Sweet Vermouth
- .5 oz Campari
- Combine ingredients
- Add ice
- Garnish with an orange peel
Enjoy your Springline Negroni before a good meal, not because it is the very definition of an Aperitivo cocktail, but because the gin, vermouth, and Campari are a delightful flavor combination. Show us your Springline Negroni by tagging us on Facebook at @SpringlineCoffee or Instagram at @springline_coffee and using hashtag #nauticoffee!